All members are encouraged to grow their relationship with God by being in service in the world, in the community and within the church.
Service with the community.
- Red Wagon – Food collected at the Sunday worship service during the offering is shared to the community through the Davis Street family resource center.
- “Yes We Can” shelves of nonperishable food is provided in the Narthex and stocked by the First UMC Trustees. It is free for the taking by anyone who might need some food support at any given time.
- Building Futures: FUMCSL partners with Building Futures, April Showers and the City of San Leandro to house San Leandro’s Winter Warming Center from the day after Thanksgiving until March, as needed. The center is open when temperatures are expected to be below 40 degrees and/or there is a 50% chance of rain forecast. To call to see if the Warming Center is open on any given winter night please call 510.924.3787. To volunteer to prepare and/or serve meals on a night when the center is open, please contact Marilyn at email@example.com.
- April Showers, a program of INH on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sundays at the Boys & Girls Club of San Leandro 401 Marina Blvd. San Leandro at 11am to 2pm with showers closing at 1:30. INH holds it monthly meeting in our church. To volunteer or for questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
- .MedShare recycles unused surplus medical supplies and equipment shore shipment to clinics in the third world.
- Thanksgiving Dinner for the Homeless is held in our facility on Thanksgiving Day.
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) responds to natural disaster anywhere in the world as well as provide programs in health, sustainable agriculture, food security, relief supplies, and more. UMCOR spends 100 percent of designated donations on the projects donors specify.
The First UMC facility serves the San Leandro community in a variety of ways. The building is used extensively throughout the week particularly in the evenings.
- Tues 7pm Sisters in Solution
- Thurs 6:30 Somewhere We Belong
- Fri 7pm Bookworms
- Mon – Sat 7pm Grupo (aka Viviendo Libre)
- Second Saturday AA 7pm
For more information about specific groups see any of various AA and NA websites.
Service Worship Sundays
Several times a year after a brief worship, the entire congregations does service projects to support our cummunity and the world.